Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Wave A Day

I know this girl Sarah. She is better known to me as "Sister Sarah." She is the younger sister of my long time friend Jenny. Sister Sarah lives in Southern California.  She has a husband, Tyler and two little fellas, Ollie and Evan. She also has a mission. Her mission is to surf once a day for 365 days to raise money and awareness for the fight against Breast Cancer. 

Her blog is A Wave A Day  I highly recommend it as a daily read. Sarah has sponsors like O.N.E Coconut Water, Smartgirls WhoSurf.  She even has a few pink Surf Boards.  A Wave A Day donates 100% of it's profit to KAB, the Keep A Breast FoundationTheir mission is simple.  To help eradicate breast cancer by exposing young people to methods of prevention, early detection and support. Through art events, educational programs and fundraising efforts, we seek to increase breast cancer awareness among young people so they are better equipped to make choices and develop habits that will benefit their long-term health and well-being. 




Here are some words from Sarah:

My Mission


Some people say surfing is the hardest sport on earth, that if you can surf, you can do anything. I also know that when things go right, it’s about the most fun you can possibly have. The spirit of surfing has inspired me. Having only come to the sport recently, and being a mother of two young boys with nonexistent free time – calling myself a surfer has seemed like a distant dream.


I have a simple mission. I plan on surfing every day – 365 days straight with no exceptions. My inspiration for the project is to use the challenge of surfing everyday as a vehicle to raise money and awareness for the fight against Breast Cancer. 1 in 8 woman will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer sometime during their life. This is unacceptable to me. My hope is that through research, awareness, and an active lifestyle we can help make this statistic history.


My challenge is simple, however, the reality of paddling out everyday – rain or shine, healthy or sick, flat or humungous – is a commitment I won’t abandon.


By surfing every day, I hope to honor all those who have been affected by Breast Cancer and that my determination will inspire people to become involved.


I invite people to follow my project online daily where I’ll be posting inspiring and beautiful snippets of my daily challenges, and doing what I can to spread awareness about Breast Cancer. I encourage everyone to donate as 100% of all donations will go to an amazing organization – Keep A Breast Foundation.


- Sarah Hughen





Sarah's blog says way more than I can tell you in one post. She is surfing everyday, no exceptions. She's already had the flu and fits her daily dips in with her husbands work schedule and her busy little boys.  What a great mission Sarah!


Check out this youtube link...it's a speedy look at what she does everyday.




Make Sarah's blog a daily, weekly, or monthly read. Make a donation today and help the fight to keep Breast Cancer a disease of the past. ~JR

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts